About us
Commissions
Services
Scientific Meetings
Publications
GGOS


Login:
Pass:
 

Home > Publications > IAG Newsletters > 2004 Issues

print version

2004-07-30

July 2004

posted by
Gyula Tóth
IAG Newsletter

July 2004

Editor: Gyula Tóth

IAG Communication and Outreach Branch

MTA-BME Research Group for Phys. Geod. and Geodyn.

 Department of Geodesy and Surveying

Budapest University of Technology and Economics

H-1521 Budapest, Hungary

Information Service of the International Association of Geodesy

http://www.iag-aig.org               newsletter@iag-aig.org

Contents

General Announcements. 2

Minutes of the Executive Committee meeting the 30th of April 2004, Nice. 2

FIG Article of the Month - July 2004. 7

Meeting Announcements. 7

IAG Sponsored Meetings. 7

15th International Symposium on Earth Tides. 7

Gravity, Geoid and Space Missions – GGSM2004. 7

IGeS Geoid School – date and location changed. 7

12th General Assembly of the WEGENER project 7

The 2004 International Symposium on GPS/GNSS (GNSS 2004) 7

International Symposium on Geodetic Deformation Monitoring - From Geophysical to Engineering Roles. 7

IAG Related  Meetings. 8

CCCT '04 Conference. 8

Map Asia 2004 Conference. 8

Laser Scanner Conference. 8

3rd conference on Geodesy, GIS and Real Estate. 8

AARSE Conference and preconference AFREF Workshop. 8

19th CODATA International Conference. 8

IAG Sister Societies’ General Assemblies. 8

ICC2005 Conference. 8

 

The IAG Newsletter is under the editorial responsibility of the Communication and Outreach Branch (COB) of the  IAG.

It is an open forum and contributors are welcome to send material (preferably in electronic form) to the IAG COB (newsletter@iag-aig.org). These contributions should complement information sent by IAG officials or by IAG symposia organizers (reports and announcements). The IAG Newsletter is published monthly. It is available in different formats from the IAG new internet site: http://www.iag-aig.org

Each IAG Newsletter includes several of the following topics:

I.        news from the Bureau Members

II.      general information

III.    reports of IAG symposia

IV.    reports by commissions, special commissions or study groups

V.      symposia announcements

VI.    book reviews

VII.  fast bibliography

Books for review are the responsibility of:

C.C Tscherning

University of Copenhagen

Dept. of Geophysics

Copenhagen, Denmark

Fax: +45 35365357

E-mail: cct@gfy.ku.dk

 


 

Minutes of the Executive Committee meeting the 30th of April 2004, Nice

 

Present: Gerhard Beutler (GB), Michael Sideris (MS), C.C. Tscherning (CCT), Jean­Pierre Barriot (JPB), Herman Drewes (HD), Rene Forsberg (RF), Veronique Dehant (VD), Chris Rizos (CR), József Ádám (JA), Chris Reigber (CRei), Peiliang Xu (PX), Harald Schuh (HS), Ruth Neilan (RN), Charles Merry (CM), Luiz Fortes (LF), Markus Rothacher (MR)

GB welcomed the EC, thanking all those present for attending the meeting and suggested that the meeting should start with an introduction round. A special welcome was given to Jean­Pierre Barriot, who was recently appointed as IAG Assistant Secretary General by Christian Tscherning:

Gerhard Beutler:               President

Michael Sideris:                Vice­President

C.C. Tscherning:              Secretary General

Jean­Pierre Barriot            Assistant Secretary General

Herman Drewes:               President of Commission 1

Rene Forsberg:                 Representing Chris Jekeli, President of Commission 2

Véronique Déhant:           President of Commission 3

Chris Rizos:                       President of Commission 4

Peilang Xu:                        President Intercommission Committee on Theory

József Ádám:                    President of the Communication and Outreach Branch

Ruth Neilan:                      Representative of the Services

Markos Rothacher:          Representative of the Services

Harald Schuh:                   Representative of the Services

Chris Reigber:                   President of (I)GGOS

Luiz Paulo Fortes:            Member at large

Charles Merry:                  Member at large

 

Ad 1. Adoption of agenda

A number of additions and changes was suggested and approved. The modified agenda was adopted. (The modified agenda items are marked by letters, e.g., 1a).

Ad 1a. IGGOS status (previous agenda item 9)

CRei gave a presentation of the work of the IGGOS steering committee since the last meeting. The committee held a meeting on the 24th of April in Nice. One of their major topics was a new name for the project. The name IGGOS constantly brings the project in conflict with other projects with similar names. They suggested that the new name for the project would be GGOS (Global Geodetic Observing System). The “O”' in GGOS would contain the logo of IAG. GB asked the EC if there where any objections to the suggestion of changing the name. The new name was approvoved unanimously.

The IGGOS structure was another important item on the agenda of the IGGOS meeting (the originally proposed structure is printed in the Geodesist's Handbook 2004). After a presentation GB asked the EC if there where any objections to the modified structure. there were none and the structure was unanimously adopted.

The next meeting of the GGOS steering group will be on the 24 th of May in Rome and CRei is positive that a solid report will be finished by the group by mid 2005.

LF asked why there where no representatives from South America at the meeting. Apparently, a representative could not yet be found.

The EC recommended that LP and CM should be asked to propose representatives from South America and Africa (there preferably from the French speaking part of Africa).

Ad 1b. IAG and GEO (previous agenda item 12)

The deadline for expressing interest in participation in GEO was very short, which is why the IAG Bureau had to act on behalf of IAG. (For further information please see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm)

IAG is now accepted as a participating organization and is requested to present two representatives to theGEO plenary. GB suggested that he and CRei should represent IAG, initially. GEO has five sub­groups.As a participating organization IAG may delegate experts as members to the subgroups. GB suggested that GGOS should prepare a list of representatives from IAG for each of the five sub­groups.

CCT expressed his concerns regarding the possible economical consequences of the IAG participation. It is not foreseen in the budget to support such a participation. CCT therefore stated that the participants would have to provide their own funds for this purpose.

CRei agreed.

GB understood CCT's concerns but he also pointed out that the IAG participation in GEO is too important not to participate.

CCT emphasized that his remark only was meant as a warning not to enlarge the IAG interests too much, because IAG currently cannot contribute funds for such purposes.

After a short discussion GB asked the EC whether there where any objections for him and CRei to represent IAG in the GEO plenary. There were no objections and GB and Crei were unanimously appointed by the IAG Executive Committee

GB asked CRei to prepare a list of IAG representatives to the five GEO sub­groups. He would then forward this list to the GEO secretariat.

GB mentioned that GEO is not a UN initiative but a inter­governmental project on the ministerial level.

Ad 1c. Report from the UN­GNSS action team (new item on the agenda)

RN had suggested that this item should be added to the agenda.

RN handed out a report from the United Nations General Assembly from the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space: ''Implementation of the recommendations of the Third United Nations Conference on the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UNISPACE III): final report of the Action Team on Global Navigation Satellite Systems''

RN recommended that the entire EC should read the document because of its possible impact and because the document, if adopted, will be send to all govern­ments represnted in the UNO.

RN emphasized some important issues in the document:

Item 2 in the paragraph ''Introduction'', because it deals with GNSS, and the recommendations which begin at page 9. The next meeting of the group will be in December and RN believes it is important that IAG is

represented at the meeting. RN informed the EC that IAG is explicitly recognized as a participant of the project.

CCT mentioned that it might be a problem that EUREF (and other IAG entities) are not mentioned in the document. RN stated that nevertheless the EUREF shall be used as a the AFREF activities.

RN informed the EC that the UN would like the IAG to comment on the report. The IAG will therefore mail a copy of the report if a request i send to IAG (iag@gfy.ku.dk)

Ad 2. Cairns organization

CR began his report by highlighting the theme for the Scientific Assembly: ''Monitoring and understanding a dynamic planet with geodetic and oceanographic tools''. At the moment they use the word ''Planet'' in stead of ''Earth'' but is still open for discussion.

HS would prefer the phrase ''Dynamic Earth'' rather than ''Dynamic Planet''.

CCT thinks that the theme should be as broad as possible in order to make the meeting interesting

for as many potential participants as possible.

CR reported that a LOC was established and that representatives of both, IAG and IAPSO, are working hard to provide the funding. The LOC is also trying to come up with a solution so that the participants only have to pay one conference fee.

The LOC expects that there will be about 1000 participants from the three groups (IAG, IAPSO, IABO). As of this moment the dates for the 2nd and 3rd circulars are not yet fixed. The preliminary science program was listed in the draft handed out by CR, but the program is far from final and/or complete. CR and with him the LOC request that the EC gives input to the preliminary program. The establishment of a Program Committee was discussed by the EC and the following colleagues were appointed:

Michael Sideris (Chairman of the Committee)

Chris Rizos (Chair of LOC)

Rene Forsberg

Richard Coleman

Herman Drewes

Markus Rothacher

The Program Committee is also responsible to appoint the Session Chairs.

CCT informed the EC about the economy and travel funds available for the Scientific Assembly 2005: Due to SARS IAG was not able to use all the money, which had been allocated for the Sapporo General Assembly 2003. Therefore a substantial amount can be reallocated now to the Cairns meeting.

CCT encouraged the EC to look for young scientists from countries, who usually are unable to attend meetings like the one in Cairns and recommend them to apply for a grant. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

Ad 3. Reports from Commission Presidents

GB remarked that the descriptions of both, the Commissions and the ICCs, look good on the IAG homepage.

Commission 1 report presented by Herman Drewes

The steering committee held two meetings after the establishment of the commission, the first one in Sapporo and the second one attached to the EGU meeting in Nice (earler in the week). For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

The EC discussed the issue of reporting for entities sponsored by several Commissions. It was concluded that reports should be given to all commission presidents whose commission is associated with the entity.

MS suggested that the name for Inter­Commission Project 1.1 ''Satellite Altimetry'' should be changed so that its name better describes the work of the project.

Commission 2 report presented by Rene Forsberg (representing the commission president Chris Jekeli)

No meetings of the steering committee took place so far. The steering committee only corresponded by e­mail. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

RF also reported from the upcoming GGSM2004 meeting in Portugal, where he expects many participants.

HD questioned why there where no members at large in the steering committee (as requested by the bylaws).

HD also finds it problematic that Commission Project 2.7 is chaired by a retired person who and that aconsiderable number of members of the group are retired as well.

Commission 3 report presented by Veronique Dehant

As the composition of the Commission has not changed since the report contained in the Geodesist's Handbook 2004, VD only reported about the activities. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

The Steering Committee of the Commission so far corresponded only by e­mail. No meetings are planned in the immediate future.

GB emphasized that the bylaws state that Commission steering committees are obliged to meet at least once per year.

Commission 4 report presented by Chris Rizos

The Steering Committee has had a number of meetings but he has had difficulties to gather the entire group at the same time. The steering committee decided to organize a number of ad hoc meetings. The next steering committee meeting is planned in conjunction the ION meeting in September 2004 in Colorado. The Commission does not yet have any projects and consists at the moment of 5 subcommittees and four study groups. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm.

CR constantly receives question from people who want to become a member of working groups, sub commissions and so forth. CR asked the other Commission Presidents and the rest of the EC how to handle such issues.

CCTpointed out that the bylaws do not explicitly state how an individual may become a member or how to limit the number of members. On the IAG membership application form one may state the interest in becoming a member of a commission. Currently, the Commission Presidents appoint the members of the groups within the commission, but there are no rules for a general commission membership. The issue must be addressed by the next Cassinis Committee.

GB thanked CR for improving the working relationships between IAG and FIG.

RN informed the EC that there will be a meeting with ION Executive and suggests that the relationship with IAG should be defined in a MOU similar to the one with FIG.

Both, Commissions 1 and 4, have decided to be represented at the FIG General Assembly in 2006 and to contribute to a special session/symposium.

Ad 4. Reports from Services representatives

RN reported from FAGS (Federation of Astronomical and Geophysical Data Analysis Services), an interdisciplinary body of ICSU, to which she was appointed in July 2004. ICSU is currently reviewing its structure. In this context, ICSU has concluded that FAGS is no longer relevant for ICSU. The president of FAGS believes that if they are excluded from ICSU they can be associated with UNESCO. The ICSU council will soon decide on the matter.

RN believes that there is a lot of work to be done for the services to ensure their long term existence and also that the services have problem of getting sufficient recognition for their work.

Harld Schuh reported that the IVS has held three meetings of its governing board. Technical improvements in VLBI are expected due to the upgrade to the Mark­5 systems.

A report on IERS was presented by Markus Rothacher. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

A report on IGFS was presented by Rene Forsberg. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

Ad 4a. MOU between IAG and the services

For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

GB would like to finalize the present version of the MOU by including comments, e.g., by Harld Schuh.

The updated version of the document will be sent out for EC approval via e­mail.

After the lunch break Luisa Bastos joined the EC meeting to report on the next agenda item.

Ad. 13 Wegener Project Status

Luisa Bastos presented the Wegener proposal. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm

Luisa Bastos proposes Wegener to stay within the IAG structure. Wegener will work on issues which are not covered by other IAG entities like EUREF. Wegener also wants to establish a larger cooperation with Africa. First contacts shall be established at a meeting in Marocco in November. In the discussion it was pointed out that such activities should be coordinated with the AFREF activities.

CCT stated that Wegener could fit in the IAG structure according to the by­laws. There is a connection between the Wegener project and both, Commissions 1 and 3.

L. Bastos favored Wegener to become an Inter­Commission Project.</p>; <p class="NormlBehzott" style='text-indent:0cm'>Ad 5. Reports from Inter­Commission Committees

ICCT:

PX reported about ICCT, (For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm).

He mentioned that ICCT has planned a symposium in Wuhan in 2006. The ICCT has established a homepage and PX informed that the logo used means ''theory''.

ICCPG:

Until now no contact could be established with the designated president of this ICC, Dave Smith. There is therefore no knowledge on the status of the ICC. GB therefore proposed that a new president should be elected. JPB volunteered to take over this responsibility. JPB will contact D. Smith and inform him of the EC decision.

Ad 5a. Appointment of new president of ICC on Geodetic Standards

After a long discussion the EC decided that the responsibility to set up the ICC on Geodetic Standards should be handed over to the GGOS project. A proposal for the establishment (if appropriate) should be contained in the GGOS report to be presented at the IAG Scientific Assembly 2005. GB will inform the GGOS chair by e­mail.

Ad 6. Cassinis committee – changes of statues and by­laws 2007

GB had previously asked Klaus­Peter Schwarz (KPS) to become president of the committee. KPS has accepted to serve in this capacity. The entire committee shall consist of KPS and three other members.

KPS and the Bureau proposed LF, Pascal Willis and Don Grant as members of the group. The president (GB) will appoint the members as soon as CCT has checked whether they are available.

KPS had suggested a number of changes prior to the EC meeting (For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm). The work of the committee is thus very important.

CCT when through the changes proposed by KPS and concluded that most of them could be implemented without Council approval already in connection with the elections in 2007.

The EC therefore decided that changes requiring Council approval should be decided at the Council meeting during the General Assembly in Perugia in 2007.

Ad 7. Report from COB

The COB has had two Steering Committee meetings, the first in Sapporo and the second on the 29. April in Nice. JA had mailed a report to CCT prior to the meeting, (For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm).

At the meeting of the Steering Committee it was decided that new useful links should show up as a permanent headline on the IAG homepage. The COB had provided a very fine brochure about IAG activities, which was addressed mainly to geodesists. It had also decided to produce a brochure, which should address the general public. Markku Poutanen had volunteered to prepare a first draft of such a brochure.

IUGG had a booth at the EGU, which allowed it to Szabolcs Rózsa to hand out the IAG brochures, IAG Membership Application Forms and the information for the Cairns meeting 2005.

RN suggested that IAG should have has a booth at the IRS meeting in Rotterdam. RN also offered to advertise the IAG and Cairns brochures in the IGS mail.

JA encouraged all the Commission Presidents to give him input to the IAG newsletter.

LF suggested that the IAG should produce a membership card. The EC approved the idea.

The EC had a discussion whether or not the two last boxes at the bottom of the membership application form should be removed or not. CCT explained that the information was needed in order to accept the membership application.

CCT and GB complemented JA and his coworkers on the fine job they have done with the establishment of the new IAG homepage, the brochure and their work for attracting new personal members to the IAG.

Ad 8. Report by the secretary general -- membership status

CCT began his report with some messages from Fernando Sansó. According to this information the proceedings from Matera are about to be ready for printing. The papers from Sapporo have been collected by Fernando and will soon be processed.

Due to a misunderstanding the hard copy of the Geodesist's Handbook 2004 is not yet ready for distribution. Springer thought that the Handbook would be a normal scientific volume and initiated the process of re­editing the entire manuscript, which was sent to Springer in November 2003(!).

CCT encouraged everybody who is entitled to receive a free copy of the JoG (e.g., the entire IAG EC) to make sure that the JoG is actually received.

According to the IAG bylaws a French version of the statutes and by­laws should be available. The documents are not yet translated, but JPB volunteered to do the job. He also volunteered to translate some of the newsletters.

CCT presented the current status of the IAG membership. His goal of 150 members within the first four years will be soon reached. Currently IAG has 141 personal members.

CCT mentioned that the number of application forms distributed at conferences has a significant impact on the development of IAG membership.

Ad 10. Report from the Committee on developing countries

LF reported on the work performed since the creation of the committee. For further information see: http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/ecag04doc/ecag04doc.htm.

The committee first identified the countries, which should be classified as developing. Secondly, it tries to locate the scientists who work within the field of geodesy in those countries. Names of 46 persons from South America and 78 from Africa were compiled in a list. The 46 ``candidates'' from South America have received an e­mail from the committee. The response was not overwhelming, so far The 78 candidates from Africa have received letters from the committee. Twelve letters were answered so far.

CM has participated in two meetings in Africa in order to establish contacts and to increase the interest in IAG and geodesy. CM reported that the situation in both, North and South Africa, is promising, as opposed to the situation in Central Africa. This is due to no the lack of access to the Internet and to very limited communication options. IAG might consider giving free access to the JOG to geodesists in these countries.

The committee held a meeting on the April 29, where it was decided to foster UN funding. Richard Wonnacot has drafted a letter to be sent out by the IAG president.

The LOC of the Cairns 2005 meeting will try to raise money to assist participants from developing counties. RN pointed out that good ideas for fund raising are more than welcome in this committee.

Ad 11. Young Authors Award

GB appointed a ``fast working committee'' consisting of MS, HD and CR to discuss the list of candidates supplied by the editor­in­chief of JOG.

On the recommendation of the committee the EC decided to present the Young Authors Award to M. Kern for his paper: ''A study on the combination of satellite, airborne and terrestrial gravity data''

Ad 13a Sponsorship of meetings and schools (new item on the agenda)

No meetings have requested sponsorship, so far. Applications for two schools were received, however. Sponsorship was granted upon recommendation of the COB to: Geoid School (Determination and use of the Geoid), to be held in the first full week of September in Sofia 2004 and School of Theoretical Geodesy on ''Geophysical Geodesy'', to be held in Como in May 2005.

Ad13 b. Date and place of next meeting (new item on the agenda)

The EC decided to have the next EC meeting in Cairns 2005.

Ad 14. aob

Nothing for this point.

GB adjourned the meeting at 16.45

C. C. Tscherning

IAG Secretary General

FIG Article of the Month - July 2004

On the FIG web site each month a paper called the Article of the Month is published. This is a high-level paper focusing on interesting topics to all surveyors. It can be picked up from an FIG conference or another event. The Article of the Month in July is written by Prof. Gerhard Beutler, President of International Association of Geodesy, IAG, Switzerland. His paper "Revolution in Geodesy and Surveying" was presented for the first time as a keynote presentation at the plenary session of the FIG Working Week 2004 in Athens, Greece, 24 May 2004.

You can get the article from: http://www.fig.net/pub/monthly_articles/july_2004/beutler_july_2004.htm

   

 

From: FIG e-Newsletter July 2004

IAG Sponsored Meetings

2-6 August 2004, Ottawa, Canada

The website has been updated with "Call for Session Proposals,"  "Registration," "Accommodation" and "Travel" information. visit  http://www.yorku.ca/ets/ets.html for more information.

30 August –3 September 2004, Porto, Portugal

IAG International Symposium

visit http://www.fc.up.pt/ggsm2004/ for more information.

IGeS Geoid School – date and location changed

31 January- 5 February 2005, Budapest, Hungary

The next International IGeS School on "The Determination and Use of the Geoid" will be at Budapest, Hungary. The preliminary program will be available soon at http://www.iag-aig.org.

21-23 September 2004, Tangier, Morocco

For details, please visit the new webpage at: http://perso.menara.ma/~tmourabit/.

6-8 December 2004, Sydney, Australia

Internet: www.gnss2004.org.

17-19 March, 2005, Jaén (Spain)

The International Symposium on Geodetic Deformation Monitoring: From Geophysical to Geodetic Roles will be held at the University of Jaén (Spain) from 17th to 19th March 2005. The Symposium will be hosted by the Geodesy Research Group of the University of Jaén. For more information please visit the workshop web site at  http://www.ujaen.es/huesped/gdeforma/.

 

IAG Related  Meetings

14-17 August 2004, Austin, Texas, USA

2nd. International Conference on Computing, Communication and Control Technologies: CCCT '04. For details, please visit: http://www.iiisci.org/ccct2004/WebSite/Default.asp .

26 – 29 August 2004, Beijing, China

Visit http://www.mapasia.org  for more information.

3 - 6 October 2004, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany

International Conference "Laser-Scanners for Forest and Landscape Assessment - Instruments, Processing Methods and Applications". For details, visit: http://www.natscan.de/conference/.

13. – 14 October  2004, Herľany, Slovakia

Detailed information you can find at: http://www.fberg.tuke.sk/fakulta/konf_herlany/html/indexen.htm

<div style='border:solid white 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm'>

AARSE Conference and preconference AFREF Workshop

18-22 October 2004, Nairobi, Kenya

The 5th AARSE (African Association of Remote Sensing of the Environment) Conference and AFREF Workshop “Geoinformation Sciences in Support of Africa’s Development” will be held in Nairobi, Kenya. For details, please visit http://www.rcmrd.org/aarse.php.

7-10 November 2004, Berlin, Germany

CODATA  -  Committee on Data for Science and Technology of the International Council of Science – ICSU Title: “The Information Society: New Horizons for Science”. Visit http://www.CODATA.org/04conf for more information.

 

IAG Sister Societies’ General Assemblies

9-16 July 2005, A Coruña, Spain

The XXII International Cartographic Conference (ICC) is the most important event in the International Cartographic Association (ICA) calendar. Please visit http://www.icc2005.org for details.